Cheektowaga, New York · Aero Drive

The Garrison
Burying Ground

A history of the War of 1812 cemetery located on Aero Drive in the Town of Cheektowaga, New York. Over 300 American and British soldiers lie buried here — casualties of illness and battle on the Niagara Frontier, interred in ground that nearly vanished from history entirely.

Cemetery sign The Garrison Burying Ground — War of 1812 Cemetery, Aero Drive, Cheektowaga, NY

The Site

Approximately half an acre on the southwesterly side of Creek Road, with Eleven Mile Creek running parallel and adjoining — used as a burial ground for soldiers who died at the nearby General Military Hospital.

The Buried

More than 300 American soldiers are believed to be interred here. In one corner lie nearly 100 British prisoners — many horribly wounded in the sortie on Fort Erie, August 14, 1814.

The Preservation

In 1851, Col. John Bliss and John R. Evans purchased the cemetery parcel to ensure the ground would never be disturbed. The deed was transferred to the Buffalo Historical Society on July 12, 1898.

A Graveyard
Born of War

Growing up in the area of the War of 1812 graveyard, I have always been curious about it and the history of the area surrounding it. I can remember passing it for the first time as a child and being fascinated by the old cannon and white crosses. Here are my findings.

The site for the new General Hospital was selected on 29 July 1814 on the recommendation of senior surgeon Dr. Ezekiah Bull. Some 37 hectares and the stables of Raphael Cook's farm were leased for the construction of a general hospital. Ironically, the original contract specified "no burying place in the premises."

Despite this clause, soldiers died in large numbers from illness and battle wounds. The government appears to have placed the dead on a neighboring piece of property then owned by the Holland Land Company — land that would pass through several hands over the following decades before finally being secured as a permanent memorial.

On 9 November 1898, the Buffalo Historical Society placed a Parrott Gun cannon at the cemetery, inscribed to the memory of the dead soldiers, and installed an arched gateway with the words "Soldiers of the War of 1812" cut from galvanized iron. The original cannon was donated to Bethlehem Steel on August 25, 1942 for the World War II war effort.

"The number of our own soldiers buried on this ground is supposed to be three hundred or more; and in one retired corner lie nearly one hundred of our enemies who were wounded, taken prisoners and died."

— Buffalo Cemeteries, read before the Buffalo Historical Society, February 4, 1879
Oldest known photograph of the cemetery Possibly the oldest known photograph of the War of 1812 Cemetery — most likely 1898 or 1899, after the estates of John Bliss and John R. Evans deeded the cemetery to the Buffalo Historical Society. Photo courtesy of David Przepiora, cheektowagahistory.com

Land Deeds &
Transactions

Five land transactions spanning 1816 to 1898 trace how the cemetery parcel passed from the Holland Land Company through private hands before being permanently secured as a historical site.

1816 deed
Transaction 01
Holland Land Company to Benjamin Barton
January 11, 1816 — Liber 3, Page 133

Wilhelm Willink et al. (Holland Land Company) sell the property containing the cemetery to Benjamin Barton. This is the first recorded land transaction for the parcel. No mention of the graveyard appears in the deed — the burial ground is not yet formally acknowledged in the legal record.

1821 deed page 1 1821 deed page 2
Transaction 02
Benjamin Barton to Thomas Coe
October 17, 1821 — Liber 7, Page 207

The second land transaction for the property — Barton sells the parcel containing the cemetery to Thomas Coe. The graveyard continues to exist without formal legal protection, still embedded within a broader tract of privately held land along Eleven Mile Creek.

1851 deed Haskell
Transaction 03
William Coe to John Haskell
July 4, 1851 — Liber 172, Page 459

William Coe sells the property containing the cemetery to John Haskell. The third transaction to include the cemetery parcel — still without formal separation or dedicated protection of the burial ground itself. This sale sets the stage for the critical transaction that follows just one month later.

1851 Bliss Evans deed
Transaction 04
John Haskell to Col. John Bliss & John R. Evans
August 6, 1851 — Liber 123, Page 19

The most significant transaction in the cemetery's history. John Haskell sells the cemetery parcel only (Parcel A) to Col. John Bliss and John R. Evans — two local citizens who felt a deep duty to protect the site.

"The ground should not be disturbed or encroached upon."

This was the last time the land was held in private hands before being deeded to the Buffalo Historical Society. For nearly fifty years, Bliss and Evans personally held the title as stewards of the burial ground.

1898 deed page 1 1898 deed page 2
Transaction 05
Estates of Bliss & Evans to the Buffalo Historical Society
July 12, 1898 — Liber 833, Page 283

The estates of Col. John Bliss and John R. Evans deed the cemetery (Parcel A) to the Buffalo Historical Society — formally transferring stewardship of the burial ground to an institution capable of preserving it in perpetuity.

Later that year, on 9 November 1898, the Buffalo Historical Society placed a Parrott Gun cannon at the cemetery and installed the arched gateway inscribed "Soldiers of the War of 1812," marking the first formal public commemoration of the site.

The 1879
Historical Account

The most detailed early description of the cemetery comes from an address delivered before the Buffalo Historical Society on February 4, 1879 — Buffalo Cemeteries: An Account of the Burial-Places of Buffalo, from the Earliest Times.

Maps, Overlays
& Aerial Imagery

Historical maps and aerial photographs document how the cemetery site has changed — and endured — over more than a century, including the original sugar maple trees described in the 1879 account.

1927
1927 Aerial Photograph with Overlay

The cemetery marker indicates the location of the cannon at present time. Three of the original ten sugar maple trees planted by the soldiers' comrades are still visible. The black dot at the yellow line is believed to be the Parrott Gun installed in 1898 by the Buffalo Historical Society.

1927 aerial diagram map
1951
1951 Aerial Image — Cemetery Boundaries

The 1951 aerial image shows the original cemetery outline with the 1951 boundary overlaid inside it — illustrating how the recognized footprint of the cemetery had contracted relative to the original burial ground by the mid-twentieth century.

1951 aerial image
LiDAR
LiDAR Imagery — Current Day Boundaries

Modern LiDAR topographic imagery of the current cemetery boundaries. Even as the surrounding landscape has been heavily developed, the LiDAR data helps define the surviving footprint of the burial ground and raises questions about what may lie just beyond its current recognized limits.

LiDAR imagery
The Garrison Burying Ground book cover
Further Reading
The Garrison Burying Ground

The complete history of the War of 1812 Cemetery on Aero Drive — including archival deeds, military hospital records, aerial overlays, and eyewitness accounts — is available in this book by J. A. Buscaglia.

View on Amazon →

Questions & Comments

Please direct all inquiries to J. A. Buscaglia

research@jabuscaglia.com